For the Budding Archeologist: Make Your Own FossilPosted on Mar 20, 2014 in Activities, Parents, Sitters | 0 comments
Help your little archeologist unlock secrets of the past with this make your own fossil activity. This simple recipe for creating rock-like relics is sure to be a hit with kids of all ages!
What you will need:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- Medium mixing bowl
- “Artifacts” from around the house
- Ask the child to find some small items to fossilize, such as plastic Army guys, dinosaurs, small Legos, pennies or paper clips.
- Mix the flour, salt and water in the bowl.
- Let the children make a ball out of dough.
- Press and roll your artifacts into the ball.
- “Fossilize” the rock by letting it set for three hours, or bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take your fossil outside and let the children smash it open.
- Have fun finding the treasures and seeing the impressions made in the rocks.
Pro tip: Pick up a few cheap, small party favors at the dollar store to use as artifacts if you want to give the children something “new” to discover.